BENEVENTO: ART AND MAGIC TOWN

Benevento, located in a pleasant valley at the confluence of rivers Sabato and Calore, is the watershed between the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Adriatic Sea and, at the time of Roman rule, marked the branch roads that lead toward the North and South Puglia , So as to merit the label "Regina Viarum." Three, in fact, were the ways that went to Benevento: the Appia, the Trajan and the Egnazia.

Legend has it that the founder was, around 1200 BC, Diomede, led after the destruction of Troy on the coast of Puglia. Recent excavations in Pay (few hundred meters from the "Italian") seem to support this hypothesis, as well were discovered four layers, the oldest of which is traced back to that time.

But the presence of a Benevento is even older: The first settlements date back to the Paleolithic, as the tools found near the bridge on the river Calore.

Benevento is also the city of witches. The legend was born from real incidents that occurred under the rule Longobardo between the sixth and ninth century. Apparently, just outside the walls, warriors Lombard organize around a walnut devoted to Wotan, the god charged, sand and dances orgiastiche, the puritans frightened locals. Women, thus, appeared in their eyes as evil witches dancing "above the water and above the wind, under the nut of Benevento".

The first name of the city was Maloenton (instead of wool), meeting point for traders and raw wool. Maleventum called by the Romans, after the Battle of Forks Caudine (321 a.C.), became Beneventum, following the victory over Pirro (275 a.C.).

During the period sannitico (IV and III sec. a.C.), the town was placed under the influence of the two rivers, as shown by recent excavations in the village Cellarulo. The long Roman is witnessed by Arch of Trajan, Roman triumphal arch, the most beautiful in the world or born-in magnificent bas-reliefs, commemorating the business of this emperor, the Teatro Romano, evocative place for today's performances also sent in Eurovisio Worldwide-sion and, by Arch of Sacramento, another monumental arch hours only brick; Leproso Bridge on the River Sabato.

Large remains of a temple of Isis of the century. DC, the obelisk of the Goddess and Bue Apis te-stimoniano a relationship between Benevento and Egypt. Come from the temple and the exhibits on display in the hall of Isis' Museum of Sannio, to date the largest group of sculptures egigie and neoegizie ever found outside Egypt.

Lombard is the period witness the church of S. Sofia, with its original plan polygonal Concentric, daring invention of an anonymous architect at the Longobard court, based on the unusual insertion of a hexagon of Roman columns of bare (perhaps from the temple of Isis) in a decagon of pillars, surrounded by perimetral walls half shaped as a star and half circular with three apses (from the text of prof. Elio Galasso). At the church of S. Sofia, which are fragments of frescoes of the eighth century in direct relationship to contemporary culture Syrian-Armenian, is an adjoining cloister called "the most beautiful poem Romanico South" .. Longobard are also the church of S. Ilario a Port'Arsa and the walls surrounding the historical center, which included Roman inscriptions and stems. The town was then (VIII-XI sec.) Lombard capital of the state in the south, had a school of philosophers, was using a type of writing that is called just "Benevento" and had also developed a sacred music totally original which accompanied the religious services and is today a school in all-servatori with the world.

Since 1077 Benevento was submitted to the State of the Church. The Rector Pontifical took place as the Fortress since 1321. Flourishing churches, including the Cathedral, with its beautiful bronze doors worked a bas, now restored and placed inside.

On 3 September 1860 the last papal governor, Edoardo Agnelli, leaves the Rocca, with the honor of arms, and with decree of Giorgio Pallavicini of October 25 of that year Well-wind was declared Province of Italy. Movement insurgency, that burst after the entry of Benevento in the Kingdom of Italy, were repressed with a tough military action by the Bersaglieri troops under the command of General Negri. Of this period are the monument-the Palace of Government, the imposing barracks Guidoni and the beautiful park of Villa community level, made the architect designed. Alfred Denhart, former director of Botanical Garden of Napoli.

Today the city has almost seventy thousand inhabitants, a university and research centres, a conservatory and, for thirty years, hosts a festival of international theater each September: "Città Spettacolo". Among the local products are famous wines, nougat and liquor "Strega".

Among the artists Benevento established to remind the international sculptor Mimmo Paladino, exponent of "Transavanguardia" that produced in the garden of the convent of San Domenico a wonderful, the Hortus conclusus, which blends together beautiful bronze sculptures of 'Singer with the sculptures of nature, trees and plants, water, with its moist to resound trickling, makes a living from background of music.

 
Visitatori
Tot. visite contenuti : 390132

Grand Hotel Italiano

Viale Principe di Napoli, 137

82100 Benevento

 

Tel. 0824 24111
Cell. 348 2663147 - 380 5960510
Fax   0824 21758
E-mail: info@hotel-italiano.com

 8 visitatori online
Web Partners